Medications that can Help with Neuropathy
There are a number of different medications that can be prescribed to help treat neuropathy. Some of the most common medications used to treat neuropathy include:
- Painkillers, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, can help relieve the pain associated with neuropathy
- Antidepressants, which can help improve nerve function and relieve the pain and numbness
- Anti-seizure medications, can help reduce the number of seizures you have if you have epilepsy and also helps improve nerve function
- Alpha-lipoic acid supplements, which can help improve nerve function and reduce the symptoms of neuropathy
- Nerve growth factor inhibitors, such as amitriptyline or nortriptyline
Always speak to your doctor before taking any new medications. Some have side effects and interactions that can make matters worse.
There are also a number of alternative therapies that can be used to help treat neuropathy. Some of the most common alternative therapies used include:
- Acupuncture. Acupuncture is a form of traditional Chinese medicine that involves inserting thin needles into the skin. Acupuncture is thought to help improve blood flow and energy flow to the areas where the needles are inserted. This may help improve nerve function and reduce the symptoms of neuropathy.
- Massage Therapy. Massage therapy is a type of bodywork that involves manipulating the muscles and tissues of the body. Massage therapy may help improve blood flow and energy flow to the areas where it is applied.
- Physical Therapy. Physical therapy involves exercises and stretches that can help improve blood flow and energy flow to the muscles and tissues of the body. Physical therapy may also help improve nerve function.
- Yoga. Yoga is a form of exercise that combines stretching and breathing exercises. Yoga may help improve nerve function and reduce the symptoms of neuropathy.
- Tai Chi. Tai Chi is a form of martial arts that combines breathing and stretching exercises with meditation. Tai Chi may help reduce and improve nerve function.
- Epsom Salt Baths. Epsom salt baths can help improve blood flow and energy flow to the areas where they are applied.
- Herbal Supplements. There are a number of different herbal supplements that have been shown to help improve nerve function and reduce the symptoms of neuropathy. Some of the most common herbal supplements used to treat neuropathy include prickly pear, passionflower, marshmallow Root, ginkgo biloba, ginger, capsaicin cream, and devil’s claw.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids Supplements. Omega-3 fatty acids are a type of fatty acid that is found in fish oil and other animal fats. Omega-3 fatty acids supplements have been shown to help improve nerve function and reduce the symptoms of neuropathy.
- Neurofeedback. Neurofeedback is a type of therapy that uses computer-generated images to help improve nerve function.
- Mindfulness Meditation. Mindfulness meditation is a form of meditation that involves focusing on the present moment. Mindfulness meditation may help reduce and improve nerve function.
There are many different types of massages available, so find one that you enjoy, and make sure to give yourself a massage at least once a day. You can also ask a friend or family member to give you a massage.
These are just a few of the things you can do to help manage the symptoms of neuropathy.
In conclusion, neuropathy is a condition that affects the nervous system. They can cause a number of different symptoms, including pain, numbness, and tingling. There are a number of different ways that you can help manage the symptoms of neuropathy. Some of the most common therapies include acupuncture, massage therapy, physical therapy, yoga, and tai chi. You can also try taking omega-3 fatty acids supplements or using Neurofeedback to improve nerve function. Mindfulness meditation may also be helpful in managing the symptoms of nerve damage. Neuropathy can be a challenging condition to live with, but by following these tips, you can make it a little bit easier.